Bishop Kenneth Bernard Spears is a pastor, bishop, author, media personality and community leader. He is a native of Fort Worth, Texas and has served as pastor of First Saint John Church since 1995. Bishop Spears is joined in ministry by his lovely wife Angela and their two sons, Kenneth and Kyle.1st couple
Bishop Spears answered his call to ministry in 1981 at the age of 17, while a student in the Fort Worth public school system. As a college student, he enrolled at Bishop College in Dallas, Texas and United Theological Seminary in Texarkana, Texas, where he proceeded to earn a bachelor degree. Soon afterwards he earned a master degree from Survine Theological College in Denver, Colorado. Years later he was awarded an honorary Doctorate Degree from Louisiana Baptist University in Shreveport, Louisiana for his service to the community.
After becoming affiliated with the Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship in 2000, he served as District Overseer. In 2004 he was appointed to the office of State Overseer for North Texas. In 2005 he was consecrated to the office of Bishop and he carried out the duties of the State Bishop of North Texas. In June of 2012, Bishop Spears was promoted to Bishop of Recruitment for the Full Gospel International Fellowship. In this position Bishop Spears promotes the growth of the Full Gospel Fellowship as it continues to advance into areas where they have yet to be heard, announced or received.
Under his annointed leadership, First Saint John has two locations and over 50 outreach ministries. His Be Restored Ministry is broadcast weekly touching the lives of thousands around the world. Bishop Spears is also an author, in his first book The Church’s Finest Hour, he shares from his own journey of discovery, heartbreak and restoration to demonstrate how the church is now experiencing a fine hour. His follow up book, Dark But Lovely, Bishop Spears uses the story of King Solomon and the dark but lovely Shulamite woman who became his queen. He skillfully reveals God’s process of bringing His sons and daughters into the fullness of who He has detined them to be.
To build a ministry that re-establishes confidence in God, the body of Christ, pastors and or preachers and the local assembly in the communities where we live. (Hebrews 10:35)
1905 Rev. Jim Sharp organized Morning Glory Baptist Church. The name was later changed to Saint John Baptist Church.
1923 – 1953 Rev. W. T. Talley, of Mineral Wells, TX was called to serve as pastor. Under his tenure the church membership grew from 14 to 1000, and the name of the church was changed to GREATER Saint John Church. In 1946 ground was broken for a new church.
1954 – 1959 Rev. L. C. Henegan was given the charge to complete the new church project. At a cost of $95,000.00 the Lord’s house was completed and the congregation entered two months later. During his brief tenure the church split into two separate congregations.
1959 The remaining members from the split reorganized and re-entered the 19th St. location. The church was re-named First Saint John Missionary Baptist Church.
1960 Rev. L. B. Moss was called to serve as pastor. Under his leadership the course of the church was re-chartered and the church continued to grow. During his tenure a church parsonage and the land adjacent to the church were purchased, central heat and air was installed in the sanctuary and an education wing was added.
1980 The City of Fort Worth began an expansion of highway interstate 30. This expansion would mean that the church would have to relocate. Property at 2401 East Berry was deemed to be an ideal location for the new church. On November 7, 1982 the congregation entered the new location.
1994 Due to the illness of Pastor Moss, the pulpit was declared vacant and a search for a new pastor commenced.
1995 Rev. Kenneth Bernard Spears began serving as Pastor. Under his leadership with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, membership grew, the debt of the church was retired, and classroom buildings were purchased as well as church transportation. The sanctuary and church grounds were renovated, a full-time staff was hired, and a church savings and investment program was established.
2000 First Saint John Missionary Baptist Church becomes part of the Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship.
2005 Pastor Spears was consecrated a Bishop on July 12 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
2005 A second location, First Saint John North, was established to carry out the mission of the church in a new era and in a new community. Services were originally held at the Roller World skating rink. (First Saint John North History)
2008 After 3 years of perseverance and makeshift services, First Saint John North had its very first service at its new permanent location on December 15.
2012 First Saint John Church is redesignated First Saint John Cathedral and a new crest is unveiled. The names of the locations were changed as well, FSJ South became known as FSJ Berry and FSJ North became known as FSJ Watauga.